I’ve been reading a lot about mindfulness lately, and realizing just how often we eat, drink, communicate, spend money, or live without awareness, in a mindless manner. To challenge each of us to live in the present moment, I will post a Mindful Monday Tip each week.
Tip 1: Palm to Tongue
I discovered this tip when I worked as a mental health intern:
- Place a bite-sized piece of food or candy in the palm of your hand. I used dark chocolate.
- Observe the food and become aware of what you see.
- Touch the food and notice what you feel.
- Bring your hand up to your nose, close your eyes, and observe what you smell.
- Close your eyes and place the food on your tongue.
- Become mindful of the texture and taste of the food on your tongue.
- What bursts of flavor or sensations do you experience as the food sits on your tongue?
- Now slowly chew and swallow and focus on what you experience.
What did you learn from this mindful experience? I learned that savoring a small bite of dark chocolate is more satisfying than mindlessly consuming a whole bar in mere seconds.